Saturday, December 4, 2010

Maker post series #1 Renilde de Peuter



I will be doing a series of maker posts over the next few weeks
by the wonderful artists and makers who have their work in MR KITLY shop.

The first of the MR KITLY maker series posts features
Renilde de Peuter of
at-swim-two-birds.


Renilde's textiles and mobiles are available at MR KITLY.

Renilde's beautiful blog documenting her life and work
has been an inspiration to me for quite a while now,
and
I feel so very lucky to now have the chance to
be here at MR KITLY surrounded by Renilde's colour world,
I feel a little like I am inside one of Renilde's
poetic posts I have admired so much on
at-swim-two-birds.
Very, very special.

Pictures 1-9 feature Renilde's work available at MR KITLY.
Please scroll on below for Renilde's interview and curated pictures.














RENILDE DE PEUTER

What do you make?

I make all sorts of things: embroiderie, croching, knitting, patchwork,
weaving, silkpainting, there's little structure or planning in what I do,
mostly I'm working on different projects at the same time.
I love to work with recycled materials and to let my imagination take over and tell stories.

Where do you make them?

I work on a table in the livingroom, which is actually
more an atelier where you can also sit and watch television :-)

How long have you been making them?

I love to craft since I was a young girl;
I learned how to knit at school at the age of six,
I remember my first lesson very well!
When I was twelve, we knitted a pair of socks with five needles, I liked it a lot.
I've been crafting my whole life since.
It all took a more clear direction though when I started for Mieke Willems,
and especially since I started my own blog about two years ago.

What were you doing this morning at 11?

I still have a full-time job in a shop, so I was working there.
But I wish I was hanging around at home in my pyjamas doing some embroiderie.
I love to be at home.

How would you describe where you live?

I come from a small village in the north of the country.
I remember when I was a kid, there was a sort of observation post
on a little hill near where I lived; when skies were clear, you could see
'The Balls of Brussels', that's how we called the Atomium from expo 58.
I suppose that when you would be standing on a hill at the French border
in the south of the country, you also would see 'The Balls', that distance is about the same.
What I mean is, Belgium is quite small.

What do you think of when you think of Australia?

When I think of Australia, I dream of a world far away,
with deserts, kangaroos, extraordinary nature, culture, art,...
it's a part of the world I've never been before, it appeals to my imagination.


What is your favourite space in your home.

My bed to think and read and my table to work :-)

Could you describe one object that you treasure?

Definitely my table, I've had since forever and it gets stained
and scratched more and more everyday,
but that's the beauty of it; my table is changing and
evolving together with me and my work.
And another plus, through the years it
got a natural patina that fits very well with my new interior.


What book do you find yourself returning to often?

A book that attracts me is The Fabric of the Cosmos from Brian Greene,
I often glance through it, and of course
At Swim-Two-Birds,
the book I've named my blog after.


Where do you see beauty in the everyday?

I find beauty in small details, in flowers, insects, trees, light,... everything in nature.

How did you first start working/creating in your field?

I've been crafting all my life, but the things I made now started with Mieke Willems,
they asked me to make some embroideries for their shop.
Then I started
my blog
and every day people respond to my work,
gradually my crafting and plans and ideas are expanding and take a more concrete shape.


Who inspires you?

Everybody who's passionate.

Please choose 3 interweb links that you most enjoy to click on.

intellligent-----clashing.com
anambitiuosprojectcollapsing.com
adrawingdiary.blogspot.com



Please choose some images that tell a small part of your life
or the various sources of your inspiration.









4 comments:

  1. Lovely interview. Renilde is very special :) Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ow, what a lovely interview. I love love love her spirit and way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely interview. But more importantly, you have some of Renilde's work in the shop??!!... I'm a lucky Melbourne based gal... I'm coming on down!

    ReplyDelete